Monday, February 7, 2011

Take your seats

Every summer, Maynardville Open Air Theatre in Wynberg puts on a Shakespeare play, and this is without doubt the highlight of my theatre year. We have been going as a family for many, many years now, and each performance has been wonderfully fresh and creative. Just as Shakespeare's plays were intended to be performed! It is such a treat to see what interpretation has been put on the chosen play.
This year was The Taming of the Shrew, complete with Italian Cirque-du-Soleil-like performers and life size animal puppets and two comic performances from Darren Aurajo as Tranio and Juliet Jenkin as Grumio that were outstanding! Interestingly, it was The Taming of the Shrew that was the first play to be performed here in 1956.

5 comments:

  1. Ah - I see the correction has been made :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Taming of the Shrew, Caroline. What a treat. I've scrolled down to where I last read your posts and LOVE the Ocean Basket pun. Have a great day, my friend. Blessings from Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - luckily noticed the mistake! Must have been getting into the historical spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also have a Shakespear show at the Mannville open air theatre in St Georges Park every year, but I am ashamed to say that I haven't been to one for years.

    ReplyDelete