Sunday, December 11, 2011

Table Mountain pillar box

On the top of Table Mountain, just outside the shop at the top of the Cableway, is this red pillar box which must have been made during the reign of Edward VII of England as it has "ER VII" on it, and below that "Handyside, Derby & London". Any letters posted here will be franked with the name Table Mountain. A quick google of the name Handyside brought up the identical pillarbox standing in Oakwood, Derby! The firm produced an astonishing number of iron works. Just look on this website.

5 comments:

  1. Thats cool, when I go there in July I must remember to post myself a letter just to see the words table mountain on it. Bit odd but I love that mountain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant, quirky idea! I assume they sell postcards in the shop as well? Long way to hike to post a letter...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will look out for it and will make sure to mail a letter from there when I'm in town

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I found your comment on my Andrew Handyside blog. Yes this is one of many Handyside pillar boxes around the world. I have plotted quite a few of them on my world map. There are a few other items by him in South Africa such as The Gouritz River Road Bridge, a fountain at Port Elizabeth and the former Durban Railway Station.
    Andy

    ReplyDelete