Cape Town's first safe harbour was constructed in 1860 when a breakwater was built with Queen Victoria's husband (consort to be posh), Prince Alfred, being there to ceremoniously tip the first load of stones into the sea. It was named the Alfred Basin. After a while that harbour became too small and the Victoria Basin was built. By the mid-1900s the Victoria and Alfred basins were unable to cope with large container ships and they fell into a state of disrepair after the Duncan and Sturrock Docks were built.
Then in 1988 work began on the restoring of the Waterfront, and today it is primarily a shopping, eating and entertainment venue - the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront (Pty) Ltd - although it continues as a working harbour for small vessels.
This is the restored Port Captain's Building.
For more ABC Wed, click here.
1 year ago