Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Picnic at Rhodes Mem

A lovely shady spot on the lawns below Rhodes Mem for a warm spring day. This classical monument - a memorial to Cecil John Rhodes on the slopes of Devil's Peak where he was said to come for some peace and quiet - was designed by Sir Francis Macey and Sir Herbert Baker and completed in 1912. The eight lions that flank the 49 steps (one for each year of Rhodes's life) were modelled on the ones at the base of the Nelson column in Trafalgar Square, London. The large horse in front, the "Statue of Energy", is an identical twin of one in Kensington Palace Gardens, also in London. Rhodes Mem is just above the campus of the University of Cape Town and is frequented by students. There is a very nice restaurant there too, but more of that in a future blog. For more worlds, go to My World Tuesday.

4 comments:

  1. I did not realize he died at only 49. He certainly gained an awful lot of influence at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an impressive looking monument!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful memorial, in a peaceful setting to a great man, Caroline. I always felt an affinity to Rhodes as I grew up in Southern Rhodesia. Thanks for sharing. I have an interesting link to a new blog on my post tomorrow, if you care to check it out. Greetings from Jo, North Africa

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Rhodes Memorial is probably my favorite in Cape Town. I love to stop by there when I'm in CT, but I've never had the time to just stop there for a picnic.

    ReplyDelete